Brooklyn, NY (Oct.5, 2019) – Transdiaspora Network is commemorating National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (NLAAD) as part of Hispanic Heritage Month by hosting a panel discussion that will elicit a dialogue among local leaders and the Latinx community in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The panel Culture, Diaspora & Health Promotion will bring the attention about the impact of HIV in this area and will examine the importance of creating culturally relevant health initiatives that engage teens and young adults of low-income and immigrant backgrounds. We aim to raise awareness around issues related to stigma, prevention and health promotion… El panel será conducido en español
October 18th, 2019 + 6:00-8:00PM
245 23rd St, Fl 2nd, Brooklyn, New York 11215 view map
Ariel Rojas, MS, MA – President/CEO/Founder
Lissette Marrero, MSW – Chief Operating Officer
Deivis Ventura – Health Advocacy Partner
Luis Mares, LMSW, Community Mobilization Programs Director, Latino Commission on AIDS
José Díaz – Latino Financial Adviser, Juntos Campaign, New York Life
Genesis Aquino – Community Liaison
FREE ADMISSION. Confidential HIV testing. Refreshments will be served. RSVP here
Hosted by Transdiaspora Network in partnership with Mixteca Organization and Turning Point Brooklyn.
In NYC, during 2017, 36% of the new diagnosis were among Hispanics/Latinx and 32.8% of the people living with HIV, at the end of 2017, were Hispanic/Latino.
Our organization is committed in securing the local implementation of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals #3 (ensure healthy lives and promoting the well-being for all at all ages), #4 (ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all), and #5 (achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls).
Infographics: HIV and Latinos
- 07/24/2021 Black Lives Matter & Cuba - This reflection written by TDN President/Founder Ariel Rojas has been posted in our blog... read more>>
- 07/24/2021 The Cuban People at a Crossroad? - Our blog has been updated with this reflection from TDN Cross-cultural Youth Exchange Fellow Alicia Rando... read more>>
- 06/06/2021 Blog Update - CYE Fellow Alicia Rando has written a reflection "About Civic Ethics"... read more>>
- 05/12/2021 Discussion & Colloquium - Our organization is putting together a private Zoom discussion and colloquium... >>read more
- 05/12/2021 Blog Update - CYE Fellow Alicia Rando has written a new reflection "Values and Youth in the European Union"... >>read more