Written by La-Kenia Green, TDN BOLD Initiative intern. Oct. 11, 2013
The Atlantic Antic was a good experience in which it allowed me to work with people first hand. Dealing with people showed me that patience is the key to many things.
This experience connects with me because I know there are young people like myself who wants to learn and prevent HIV. Teens are the future so by doing community outreach I feel I am paving the way for others.
Smiling and presentation draws people attention. While giving out information, the most important part is the first few words that are said to someone. Although it is a challenge, it’s one improvement I need to work on as time goes by. Teens are the target however, getting adults with children and grandchildren involved help open some doors. I have heard many people say they know about HIV/AIDS, but never about how to see the signs of a dangerous path leading to such calamities. Therefore, this is why teens are a great start because the mind has not fully developed so it makes it still have space to instill good practices.
With that being said, events like the Atlantic Antic would bring positive consideration to this major subject. A person like myself can be a great example for those who may feel like teens cannot or do not do productive activities. The Atlantic Antic was just the beginning of learning a skill as small as first impressions and I hope to accomplish many more.
- 09/16/2017 TDN Emergency Relief Fund - The path of destruction left behind by Hurricane Irma means victims’ need for assistance is only beginning... >>DONATE HERE!
- 08/13/2017 IYLA Global Summit - Transdiaspora Network has registered a 20-member delegation to the International Young Leaders Assembly Global Summit... >>read more
- 07/27/2017 Youth Building Peace - Our founder Ariel Rojas, and a delegation of youth, are invited to attend the commemoration of the International Youth Day 2017 at the United Nations... >>read more
- 06/13/2017 TDN Civic Night at Brooklyn Farmacy - TDN Founder invited to introduce our cross-cultural initiative to Brooklyn residents and businesses [June 14, 7PM, 513 Henry St., Bklyn]... >>read more
- 05/05/2017 ECOSOC 2018 Consultative Status Application - NGOs interested in applying for ECOSOC consultative status should submit their application and required documents before 1 June 2017... read more>>