Brooklyn, NY (July 26, 2017) – The Division for Social Policy and Development (DSPD) of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) has invited our founder Ariel Rojas, along with a delegation of young people from Brooklyn, to attend the commemoration of the International Youth Day 2017 on August 11th under the theme ‘Youth Building Peace’.
Young people’s inclusion in the peace and security agenda and in society more broadly, is key to building and sustaining peace. The process of social inclusion for youth, including participation in decision-making as well as access to quality education, health care and basic services promotes their role as active contributors to society and affords young people with opportunities to reach their potential and achieve their goals. When youth are excluded from political, economic and social spheres and processes, it can be a risk factor for violence and violent forms of conflict. Therefore, identifying and addressing the social exclusion of young people is a precondition for sustaining peace.
The current generation of youth are the largest in history and young people often comprise the majority in countries marked by armed conflict or unrest, therefore considering the needs and aspirations of youth in matters of peace and security is a demographic imperative.
Since the adoption of Security Council Resolution 2250 in 2015, there is growing recognition that as agents of change, young people are critical actors in conflict prevention and sustaining peace. International Youth Day 2017 is dedicated to celebrating young people’s contributions to conflict prevention and transformation as well as inclusion, social justice, and sustainable peace.
- 07/15/2018 Long Life to the teens! - Statement from TDN founder following Pelé touching message... read more>>
- 04/10/2018 National Youth HIV/AIDS Awareness Day - Only 10% of U.S. high school students have ever been tested for HIV ...>>read more
- 03/31/2018 Community Blog - Transdiaspora Network blog has been updated with a new report regarding the 62nd session of the Commission on the Status of Women... >>read more
- 09/16/2017 TDN Emergency Relief Fund - The path of destruction left behind by Hurricane Irma means victims’ need for assistance is only beginning... >>DONATE HERE!
- 08/13/2017 IYLA Global Summit - Transdiaspora Network has registered a 20-member delegation to the International Young Leaders Assembly Global Summit... >>read more