Written by La-Kenia Green, TDN BOLD Initiative intern. Dec. 10, 2013
On Monday December 2nd, World AIDS Day was celebrated. As I arrived to the community health fair organized by Diaspora Community Services at Flatbush Reformed Church, I saw there were around 5 young students from different schools that did skits about using protection to prevent HIV/AIDS. There were also many different organizations tabling at the event like SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Amida Care, among others.
I spoke with two doctors in training from SUNY Downstate Medical Center and was given a chance to introduce myself and explain what I do for Transdiaspora Network (TDN). I mostly took note on the amount of people that wanted to get HIV tested and even doctors got tested. There was a table where you could get your blood pressure level tested and I have noticed that the people being tested were up in age roughly around 40 and up.
One thing that stood out to me was the skit about the two friends who were having a conversation about sexual life of one of them. The friend said that she does not use condoms with her partner and her friend seemed concerned. However, she did not understand what was the problem with not using protection when she would rather have sex without one because it is more pleasurable. The friend insisted that she used it to prevent getting any STD’s, or even getting pregnant. Later, they both decided to go to the doctor to get checked out. This shows that even friends can be an influence in some of your choices -good or bad.
- 09/16/2017 TDN Emergency Relief Fund - The path of destruction left behind by Hurricane Irma means victims’ need for assistance is only beginning... >>DONATE HERE!
- 08/13/2017 IYLA Global Summit - Transdiaspora Network has registered a 20-member delegation to the International Young Leaders Assembly Global Summit... >>read more
- 07/27/2017 Youth Building Peace - Our founder Ariel Rojas, and a delegation of youth, are invited to attend the commemoration of the International Youth Day 2017 at the United Nations... >>read more
- 06/13/2017 TDN Civic Night at Brooklyn Farmacy - TDN Founder invited to introduce our cross-cultural initiative to Brooklyn residents and businesses [June 14, 7PM, 513 Henry St., Bklyn]... >>read more
- 05/05/2017 ECOSOC 2018 Consultative Status Application - NGOs interested in applying for ECOSOC consultative status should submit their application and required documents before 1 June 2017... read more>>